The Value of Vulnerability at Work
Wednesday, August 3, 2022 - Joe Kiedinger
As more and more Boomers retire and Millennials and Generation Zers enter the workforce, the generational balance has shifted. With a different generational makeup, that means today’s workforce has different expectations and values than the one before it.
Changing Workplace Needs
Want to retain the talent you have? It’s our job as leaders to adapt to the changing needs of this new workforce.
According to a Gallup poll, when the new generations were asked what they look for most in an employer, their answers were surprisingly similar.
- An employer that cares about their wellbeing
- Ethical leadership
- Open, transparent leaders
- A diverse and inclusive workplace
In a word, the workforce is crying out for vulnerability. They want leadership who cares about them as human beings, who chooses to do the right thing and who shares their own human nature. Is that so crazy?
It’s no longer a leave-your-baggage-at-the-door workplace. We must choose to do life together, to leave our armor at the door instead and reveal a bit of our humanity.
Benefits of Vulnerability
But why? Why should I open up to others at work, you might be asking?
- Authenticity: Opening up to others makes us more real and more relatable.
- Trust: Your co-workers and associates are more likely to trust someone authentic.
- Inspiration: Leading by example and sharing a bit of your personal story will inspire others to follow in suit and build a healthy culture of transparency.
- Strength: It’s ok to admit you don’t know everything and to ask for help. When you do, your team will step up to support you and form a stronger bond.
- Retention: When your associates like and trust you as an individual, they’re much more likely to stay with your business for the long haul.
Want to get started practicing vulnerability in your own workplace? Stay tuned, there’s more content coming in my upcoming WOWs and on our social channels.
ACTION PLAN: If you’re not already, sign up for our Prophit Co. Post at the bottom of this page to have Wisdom on Wednesday and other inspiration delivered right to your inbox!